For those looking to learn more about nature-based early childhood education practices, I offer professional development workshops from a 1-hour keynote address to a multi-day workshop. All of the professional development workshops are fun and engaging, while also being informative and inspirational. Contact me for more information about available topics and pricing.
Looking for inspiration for a conference? I'd be happy to present a keynote address to inspire, challenge, and motivate your attendees to move from early childhood programming detached from nature to one embracing all of the elements of nature-based early childhood education. My goal with keynote addresses is to give you and your attendees the knowledge and skills to begin implementing ideas into your program immediately, while inspiring you to dream big about what the future might hold for your early childhood program. Contact me to book a date! Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Better Together: Strengthening Nature-Based Early Childhood Education Nature-based early childhood education (NbECE) is the integration of early childhood and environmental education, which makes an approach more powerful than the individual disciplines. In other words, they’re better together! Using a continuum of NbECE as the overarching framework, Rachel will provide the group with 5 ways we can come together as separate disciplines, and as individuals, to better the profession of nature-based early childhood education. You’ll leave smiling, energized, and ready to change the world! (Primary audience: nature-based early childhood educators; environmental educators; early childhood educators)
- Moving Towards a Nature-Based Approach High-quality nature-based early childhood education (NbECE) doesn’t happen overnight, but rather through daily programmatic and teaching decisions. Using a continuum of NbECE as the overarching framework, Rachel will provide the group with concrete ways, no matter your starting point, to better integrate nature into your program structure, physical environment, and teacher-child interactions. You’ll leave smiling, energized, and ready to change the world! (Primary audience: early childhood educators)
- From Preschool to Early Elementary: Learning from One Community’s Journey with Nature-Based Education High-quality nature-based early childhood education (NbECE) doesn’t happen overnight, but through community collaboration NbECE can be integrated into all levels of early childhood education. Using preschool and early elementary programs in Midland, MI as an example, Rachel will provide the group with ways, no matter your starting point, to better integrate nature into your program structure and broader community. (Primary audience: nature-based early childhood educators; environmental educators; early childhood educators)
- Learning from the Nature-Based Early Childhood Education Movement There has been an incredible growth in nature-based early childhood education (NbECE) in recent years. Rachel has been actively involved in that movement, particularly related to nature-based preschools. She’ll orient everyone to what NbECE is and the current state of the field. Much of the talk, however, will use lessons from the nature-based early childhood movement to support all environmental educators in providing richer, more meaningful experiences for their audiences. You’ll leave this keynote smiling, energized, and ready to change the world! (Primary audience: environmental educators)
Professional development workshops focus on incorporating nature-based activities into your curriculum while maintaining high quality early childhood practices. Together we will customize each workshop to your particular program and teachers' needs. Some of the topics for professional development include:
- Benefits of nature-based approaches for young children
- Developing large and small group activities
- Integrating nature into your indoor environment
- Communicating with parents about the nature-based approach
- Leading excursions outside the play area
- Developing natural play areas
- Distinguishing between outdoor hazards, risks, & fears
- STEM and nature-based early childhood education
Have something else in mind? Contact me to discuss the possibilities.
Have you started integrating nature into your early childhood programs, but would like additional support or coaching? I can help with that! I can provide individual and team coaching over the course of the school year to help move your teams to a more nature-based pedagogy. I am also a reliable rater for the HighScope Program Quality Assessment (PQA), which I can complete in connection with or separate from coaching. I can serve as an early childhood specialist (ECS) or provide support in addition to your ECS. In other words, there are lots of options! Give me a call and we can make a plan that works best for you and your team.
Ready to get started? Click here, and we'll work together to make a plan!